Crash Games on the rise across Africa
While traditional casino games such as slots, live roulette, live blackjack and gameshow titles will always be popular there is a new kind of games that is disrupting.
These disruptor games, often also called smart games or increasing curve games, are innovative and hence have taken the African Gambling market by storm.
Most popular Crash Games
The new generation of games, the smart games, looks very different to the previously available games. There are no grids or symbols and also no paylines. Instead these games follow a video game style with features known from console gaming. The most popular smart games, or increasing curve games, in Africa are currently Aviator, Cash or Crash and Spaceman.
The most popular smart game: Aviator
Since Spribe released Aviator in 2019 it soared in popularity quite quickly. Aviator is one of the simplest games you will come across. As soon as you start playing the plane takes off. As it climbs higher into the sky the potential prize amount keeps growing. But be wary, in the moment it flies off you loose. So your aim is to cash out before the plane disappears. More info on how to play is available in our Aviator game review.
Where to play Aviator online in South Africa
Where to play in Aviator in other African Countries
Aviator is very popular across many African countries and is available for example on the following betting and casino sites:
- Kenya: Hollywoodbets Kenya,
- Mozambique: Hollywoodbets Mozambique
- Nigeria: Frapapa, Msport, GreatOdds Nigeria
- Ghana: GreatOdds Gh, Sportybet, Premierbet, Msport, Betway Ghana
The first crash game: JetX
Georgian developer Smartsoft Gaming released its flagship game JetX in 2018 and hence it is often considered the first disruptor game. JetX hasn’t been available on licensed South African sites until it launched on HollywoodBets in December 2022. Gameplay is exactly like on Aviator but instead of a plane you board a jet. Then place your bets and ensure you cash out before the jet explodes. JetX is available to play with Frapapa in Nigeria as well.
Where to play JetX online in South Africa
Currently you can board this game only at Hollywoodbets in South Africa .
Cash or Crash
Another very popular smart game is Evolution’s Cash or Crash. This live game is also very simple and based on a lotto draw. In the drum are 19 green, 8 red and 1 golden ball. The latter gives you an extra life and strats the bonus round. Green balls are great but ensure you cash out before a red ball is drawn. Can you manage to climb up the 20-step ladder? More info about the game is also available in our Cash or Crash Game review.
Where to play Cash or Crash in South Africa
The game is available on most of the best betting sites in South Africa that feature Evolution games including the following:
Where to play Cash or Crash in other African countries
Aviator vs. Cash or Crash
Both Aviator and Cash or Crash work on a similar mechanic. You have to cash out before either the plane flies away or a red ball is drawn. Aviator is a very simple game. There is no live presenter for additional entertainment. But you have a live chat to communicate with other players in the game. In aviator you can place either 1 or 2 bets in one betting round. Compared to this Evolutions Cash or Crash is slightly more complex. You place only 1 bet but the game can take you up a 20-step ladder. Do you dare and climb to the top? Moreover you can decide to cash out full or just half. Whichever of the 2 games you pick, you surely will have a great time.
Other disruptor games
Cash or Crash and Aviator are not the only smart games available. One other one is Crash, where a spaceship heads out into outer Space. Cash out before the rocket explodes. We haven’t seen this game live on any African betting site yet but will update once it becomes available. Other crash games Lucky Jet as well as Pragmatic Play’s Spaceman which is now available to play at 10bet SA and bet9ja in Nigeria. Have a look at our detailed Spaceman Game Review.
Why are crash games popular?
The smart increasing curve games are popular throughout Africa, especially with younger players. While the games are usually quite simple there are a few factors that might be behind their success, including the following:
- The games are close to the experience of standard video games. Hence they appeal to a younger audience who wants to have entertainment outside of paylines or symbols.
- The games have a simple user-interface and are lightweight. While gameplay moves more and more mobile, games that cater for lower bandwidth internet connections as well as lower-budget mobile devices mean wide accessibility for everyone. Therefore, independent on the strength of you internet connection and your smartphone you should be able to have a seamless entertainment.
- Multiplayer modus as well as social elements such as live chat, allowing participating players to chat to each other.
- While the game is similar to slots based on a random number generator there are game mechanics that give the user control. At the end, it’s up to the individual player to decide when to cash out. So it’s your skill in holding your nerves and pressing the button at the right time that makes the difference between big wins or a loosing bet.
We look forward to many other unique disruptor games that give us a different experience. We also have summarised the current Top Crash Games in a separate article.
Let’s play crash games….
Interested in playing? Have a look at our Crash Games Guide for some strategy tips, then pick your betting site from the below and have fun.