Bye 2022, Hello 2023
We can’t yet fully believe it but 2022 draws to an end. That is to say, there have been a lot of changes to the South African betting scene in 2022.
While we recap 2022 we also have a look at these changes and moreover provide an outlook into betting in 2023.
Overall 2022 was a really exciting year for online gambling in South Africa and across the globe. Let’s have a look at some highlights for both sports betting as well as casino games.
Sports Highlights 2022
- Argentina won the World Cup 2022 in Qatar! This tournament goes into the history books for many reasons. One of them is the fact that Morocco became the first African country to reach a WC semi-final. What an achievement!
- Carlos Alcaraz won the 2022 US Open Championship and moreover became the youngest ever world No 1 in Men’s tennis.
- England won the 2022 ICC Men’s T20 World Cup. In the final they beat Pakistan by 5 wickets. Unfortunately South Africa didn’t advance to the knockout stage of Group 2.
- HollywoodBets became the sponsor of the Durban July and the 2022 Durban July has been a full success. We are hence looking forward to a lot more horse racing excitement and betting in 2023!
Casino Games Highlights 2022
- 2022 was the year of online slots! While initially Hollywoodbets kicked off the slots fun with its Spina Zonke range others followed over the course of the year. Now you can spin the reels of the best providers on many betting sites including Supabets, Betway as well as PalaceBet.
- Crash games are on the rise. Aviator is possibly one of the biggest betting hits of 2022 and we surely will see its success continue in 2023. Meanwhile one lucky player won R4 million on this game lately on Hollywoodbets. While Aviator is still players’ favourite other, similar games are available as well. If you like Aviator you might want to try betting on JetX, Cash or Crash as well as Blast in 2023.
- A variety of new betting sites launched ahead of the World Cup, including LulaBet as well as Betshezi. Moreover more big global gambling brands have arrived in South Africa such as for example 10bet, Fafabet or Betfred. Only time will tell if these newcomers can grab a market share of the well established sites.
Best Sports Betting Events for 2023
While we have seen some big sport events in 2022 the sports betting calendar for 2023 also features some highlights and we will surely place some bets on these.
- L’Ormarins King’s Plate 2023 (7 January)
- Betway SA20 (10 January-11 February)
- 2023 Australian Open in Melbourne (16-29 January). Many promotions are available across SA betting sites including Betway’s Australian Open 2023 Grand Slam promotion.
- Winter X Games, Aspen, Colorado, USA (27-29 January)
- The WSB Cape Town Met 2023, Kenilworth Racecourse (28 January)
For more info about the best sporting events during the first 31 days of 2023 also have a look at our January 2023 Sports Preview.
- Guinness Six Nations 2023 – opening weekend (4 February) – England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, France, Italy.
- NFL Super Bowl (12 February)
- ICC Women’s T20 World Cup in South Africa (9-26 February)
- Alpine World Ski Championships (5-19 February)
- HSBC 7’s 2023 (kicked off in January 2023)
- Abu Dhabi Padel Master (22 February 2023) – Read all about The Rise of Padel.
- Formula 1 season starts in Bahrain (3-5 March); the 2023 F1 racing calendar is the longest in history and will hence offer a lot of betting opportunities.
- Cheltenham Festival (14-17 March)
- Six Nations 2022 – final weekend (18 March)
- Currie Cup 2023 (March – June)
- PGA Tour: The Players Championship
- TIKTOK Six Nations 2023 (March 25 – April 29)
- Snooker 2023 Tour Championship (March 27-2 April)
- Absa Cape Epic (19-26 March)
For more details about the best sporting events during April also have a look at our April 2023 Sports Preview.
- The Masters, Augusta (6-9 April)
- The Grand National, Aintree Racecourse (15 April)
- Snooker World Championship, Crucible Theatre, Sheffield (15 April – 1 May)
- London Marathon (23 April 2022)
- 2 Oceans Marathon (15 April)
- Formula 1 (Australia 2 April) & (Azerbaijan 30 April)
- Kentucky Derby (6 May)
- Giro d’Italia (6 – 28 May)
- 2023 PGA Championship, Oak Hill Country Club, USA (18-21 May)
- French Open in Paris (28 May-11 June)
- Final Day of Premier League (28 May)
- 2023 Indy 500, Indianapolis, USA (28 May)
- Table Tennis World Championship, Durban, South Africa (22-28 May)
- 2023 UEFA Europa League Final, Budapest, Hungary (31 May)
- 2023 Epsom Derby (2-3 June)
- 24 Hours of Le Mans (10-11 June)
- Royal Ascot (14-18 June)
- U.S. Open Golf (16-19 June)
- Comrades Marathon (11 June)
- 2023 Hollywoodbets Durban July (1 July); there will surely be a lot of betting promotions available for this prestigious race.
- Tour de France 2023 (1-23 July)
- Wimbledon Tennis Championships (3-16 July)
- Women’s Football World Cup, New Zealand & Australia (10 July-20 August)
- The British Open 2023, Royal Liverpool Golf Club Hoylake, Merseyside, England (20-23 July)
- Netball World Cup, Cape Town, South Africa (28 July-6 August)
- US Open, New York City (28 August-10 September)
- Vuelta a Espana (26 August-17 September)
- EPL Season 2023/24 kick off ; 380 games are waiting across of the 38 EPL 2023/24 fixtures weeks
- Men’s Rugby World Cup, France (8 September-28 October)
- Invictus Games, Duesseldorf, Germany (9-16 September; postponed from 2020)
- Ryder Cup, Rome, Italy (29 September-1 October)
- ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2023 (October-26 November). This WP will moreover be the first one that is completely hosted by India.
- World Combat Games, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia (5-14 October)
- 2023 Melbourne Cup, Victoria, Australia (7 November)
- F1, last race of the season in Abu Dhabi (26 November)
- World Darts Championship, London, UK
Enjoy betting in 2023
2022 was a fantastic year for sports betting but 2023 will not fall short. Many events in our favourites sports are happening such as for example the Rugby World Cup in France. Surely the best betting sites in South Africa will bring a great promotional line up to the table.
The biggest change over the last 12 months was definitely the rise of slots. Hence nearly all betting sites in South Africa have them now as part of their games portfolio. That is to say formerly just sportsbooks are now full-on online casinos. The slot titles by Habanero who is the developer of Hot Hot Fruit are above all amongst players favourites. But players also enjoy to spin Pragmatic Play slots as well as NetEnt and Red Tiger ones. Supabets has the biggest range of providers while HollywoodBets still leads the way with its Spina Zonke Jackpot Races.
Many new betting sites have launched ahead of the 2022 WC and it will be moreover interesting to see who is here to stay. At the same time we might even see more additional entries to the SA betting scene in 2023. Overall, the trend to mobile betting continues and many bookies offer data-free or even native apps.
So enjoy betting in 2023 and have a look at the currently TOP 3 SA bookies:
Lastly, the whole Bet&Win team wishes you a fabulous New Year 2023!