Tsogo Sun Gaming
Tsogo Sun is a leading hospitality and entertainment company in South Africa. It operates a diverse portfolio of hotels, resorts, and casinos across the country, including its online casino operation playTsogo.
In this article, we will take a closer look at the Tsogo Sun group, its casinos and furthermore its impact on the South African gambling industry.
About Tsogo Sun
Tsogo Sun has a very long history which goes back to 1969. That year hotelier Sol Kerzner found Southern Sun Hotels. From there on years of growth but also mergers and acquisitions followed.
Today Tsogo Sun Gaming Ltd is the premier hospitality company in South Africa. Moreover it is the only casino, hotel, and entertainment group within the top 100 companies listed on the JSE. With a strong presence in the country’s gambling industry, Tsogo Sun Gaming boasts unparalleled destinations for premier casino and entertainment experiences. In addition, Galaxy Bingo sites, VSlots limited payout machines (“LPMs”), as well as bookmaker licenses are part of the portfolio. Furthermore, the group owns and operates an array of hotels, a theme park, the Apartheid Museum, theaters, cinemas, and conference facilities.
In 2020 the group discovered that more and more betting entertainment is happening online and mobile. Moreover the Covid-19 pandemic caused massive revenue loss for the up to now land-based only business. This resulted in the group acquiring a majority ownership of South African’s betting site bet.co.za in August 2020. This move set the foundation for just recently launching its own online betting brand, playTsogo. While both are now sister sites there is a very different look and feel as well as a distinct betting portfolio available for each.
Overall, Tsogo Sun Gaming is well-received by the South African gambling community. From the land-based operation to the online sites, Tsogo is a trusted and safe operator.
Tsogo Sun Casinos
At the moment the group operates 13 land-based casinos. Each of these casinos offers a unique gaming and entertainment experience, and many of them are located in popular tourist destinations throughout South Africa. The following casinos are part of the Tsogo Sun group:
- Montecasino – Fourways, Johannesburg. Montecasino is a Tuscan-themed casino and entertainment complex that features a variety of gaming options. This casino is known for its impressive architecture, which includes a replica of the Piazza San Marco in Venice, Italy.
- Gold Reef City – Ormonde, Johannesburg. The design of this casino resembles a 19th-century gold mining town and has aside from the casino offering also a number of amusement park rides and attractions.
- Suncoast Casino – Durban, a popular destination for both locals and tourists.
- Blackrock Casino – Newcastle, a smaller casino that is popular with locals in the KwaZulu-Natal region.
- Garden Route Casino – Mossel Bay, a popular stop for visitors to the Western Cape.
- Hemingways Casino – East London
- The Caledon Casino – Caledon. The Caledon Casino is a smaller casino that is known for its natural hot springs and spa facilities.
- Mykonos Casino – Langebaan. Mykonos Casino is a Greek island-themed casino that is popular with visitors to the West Coast region.
- Golden Horse Casino – Pietermaritzburg
- Silverstar Casino – Mogale City
- Emnotweni Casino – Nelspruit, a smaller casino that is popular with locals in the Mpumalanga region
- The Ridge Casino – Witbank
- Goldfields Casino – Welkom
Tsogo Sun Online Brands
As mentioned above already a few years ago the group recognised the value of online betting. Therefore it comes to no surprise that Tsogo Sun went online with its own name and launched PlayTsogo in December 2022.
The PlayTsogo betting platform aims to provide its customers with the best possible experience. It does this by offering a user-friendly interface that is easy to navigate, a wide range of sports and events to bet on, and competitive odds on all of its markets. In addition to its sports betting options, customers can also enjoy various casino games. These games include slots, table games, and live dealer games. Overall, Tsogo Sun Online provides users with a complete online gaming experience. More details are also available in our detailed PlayTsogo review.
In 2020 the Tsogo group already bought a majority share in bet.co.za to get a foothold in the SA online betting scene. Back then the deal was seen as “a strategic opportunity for Tsogo Sun Gaming to enter the online betting space via an existing developing business”. Acquiring a 50.1% stake in betcoza set the foundation for the launch of playTsogo.
bet.co.za is one of the best betting sites in South Africa. It provides players with a convenient and accessible way to enjoy their favorite casino games from the comfort of their own homes – and also has a wide and varied sports betting offering. More details are available in our bet.co.za review.
Tsogo Sun Gaming Group – Final Words
That is to say, Tsogo Sun Gaming is a significant player in the South African online gambling industry. It is a very established and reputable operator. Enjoy their betting entertainment in one of their 13 casinos or play online as well as mobile. Moreover Tsogo Sun Gaming is well-positioned to grow and expand its operations in South Africa and we might see more brands coming soon. Discover the exclusive gambling entertainment by Tsogo Sun wherever you are!